Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hospitality and Tourism Management

Been working hard over my projects and now here I am wondering why I have decided to join this course. I guess it's the opportunities that have presented itself to me, and it's really the reason for me to hang in there to see how this industry is like. I've actually identified two opportunities that really made me look forward to the industry.

ITB Asia
Being part of the student group helping out in the biggest trade show for the industry in Asia is no joke. There were many real challenges that we often talked about, but never faced, such as handling difficult delegates, preparation for the show, and how an event is planned. Being behind the scenes, I see the hard work that's being put in to make the show a success. Words cannot fully describe what I felt throughout the experience of working in ITB asia, but I'm glad I was a part of it.

Housekeeping Mentoring Program
I first knew about this programme when I was looking through my TP email where I received something from one of my teachers, and it was a gut instinct actually, to sign up for this programme. I guess because the section of housekeeping was the first one that motivated me to join the industry of hospitality. When I was in secondary 3, my one-week attachment as Ascott's group of serviced apartments in the housekeeping section opened my eyes to the sector and I was deeply interested. Also, I wanted to know more about the behind-the-scenes of a hotel industry. So without hesitation, I decided to sign up for the programme. To my surprise, I was selected by Four Seasons and I was looking forward to the programme!

At first I did not know what to expect, but the executive housekeeper, Ms Doris Leong was kindly talked us through the programme, and planned something for us everyday.
Day one
We were attached to one of the housekeepers to do a time and motion study, where we were to breakdown the tasks that the housekeepers were supposed to do, and time them. Other than this study, we also had the chance to see what was being offered in the hotel, such as the amenities and how the rooms looked like.
Day two
Reporting for the night shift, we had the opportunity to learn what turndown service was all about. I was new to this term and did not know what is it really about. Well it's basically a gesture from the hotel to make the bed ready for sleep, and to dim the lights such that it's a conducive environment to sleep in. It's really an eye-opener for me.
Day three
I was attached to Daphne, one of the supervisors, who went around the hotel to check on the check out rooms, to see if they were ready for check ins for the day. Then we also learned about the daily duties of a supervisor.
Day four
My partner and I were split up for the day, for the first half I was in the Laundry department where I learned about the operations, and then for the later half I was with the public area supervisor, where i was brought around to the public areas, such as the swimming pool, the club and the function rooms to ensure that they are all well maintained and clean.

The staff of FSHS were really friendly and they were all very willing to share their knowledge of their job scope with me. I was really grateful to them and it was the warmth of the staff that made me enjoy this experience so much.
After exposure to this programme, I had a deeper level of understanding about the back-of-house operations of the hospitality industry and I really felt that the department of housekeeping are the group of unsung heroes that are crucial to creating part of the product of the hotel. This experience is invaluable and it made me consider another field of the hospitality as my future career path. It is a programme that I would definitely introduce to my juniors to take up, to get a better idea of the operations of a hotel. It may not be a bed of roses, but it's definitely something to enrich his/her experience in the hospitality industry.

1 comment:

  1. It is a respectable profession being a "housekeeper" whether in a hotel or in private service. Once you are trained properly, you can go anywhere in the world and find work. There is a great demand in being a "professional and competent housekeeper". I train hundreds of individuals who choose this as a career, and are proud to work to offer such expertise.

    http://www.martaperrone.com

    ReplyDelete